What is Coronavirus: Causes, Symptoms, and Prevention
At a Glance:
The outbreak of a newly detected virus, 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has rippled through China and the parts of the globe infecting people. Coronavirus is contagious and can cause pneumonia-like diseases. This new virus is concerning and calls for a reminder on the importance of precautionary measures against the respiratory virus.
What is the 2019 Novel Coronavirus?
2019 Novel Coronavirus (more commonly known as Coronavirus) is a large group of virus that causes respiratory illness. It is common in animals and has recently seen spread from animals-to-humans. The intensity of the virus ranges from common cold acute respiratory symptoms.
What are the symptoms of the coronavirus?
People who have been diagnosed with coronavirus exhibit symptoms similar to those of other viral respiratory infections. Some coronavirus symptoms are:
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
Is there any cure for coronavirus?
No, there is currently no antiviral vaccine or treatment for 2019-NCoV. Thus, it is advised that you remain careful about the food you consume, avoid close contact with infected people, and remain careful in public spaces. People who suspect coronavirus infection should contact doctor immediately. Patients receive supportive care to relieve symptoms and to support vital organ functions.
How can coronavirus spread?
Coronavirus initially spreads through animals. It can also be transmitted from one infected person to another through:
- Breathing the air by coughing or sneezing.
- Close contact with the infected person.
- Touching infected objects and having direct contact with your eyes, mouth, and nose.
Can Coronavirus be prevented?
Since there is no vaccination available for curing the disease, coronavirus prevention is key to maintaining good health. You may be able to reduce the risk of catching this virus by trying the below preventions:
- Maintain good hand hygiene by constantly washing hands before and after any activity.
- Wear a mask in crowded areas.
- Avoid contact with animals and people who are already sick.
- Avoid direct contact with the eyes and nose as much as possible.
- While coughing or sneezing use tissues to cover both mouth and nose.
- Properly cook the meat and eggs for consuming.
If you are feeling mildly sick, keep yourself hydrated and take plenty of rest.
The coronavirus belongs to the same family of viruses as SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) and MERS virus. It initially starts from fever and can become as severe as pneumonia and bronchitis. If you are experiencing symptoms, you should immediately contact your doctor.
- “Symptoms and Diagnoses”.CDC, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/about/symptoms.html . Accessed 28 January 2020.
- “Coronavirus Update”. Mayoclinic, newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/coronavirus-update/ . Accessed 28 January 2020.
- “Common symptoms of coronavirus”. WebMD, www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus#2 . Accessed 28 January 2020.
- “Coronavirus Infections” US. National Library of Medicine, MedlinePlus, medlineplus.gov/coronavirusinfections.html . Accessed 28 January 2020.