Causes, Symptoms, Risk factors, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
What is Perthes Disease?
Perthes disease is a rare disease condition commonly observed in children that affects the hip. It occurs when there is an insufficient supply of blood to the round head of the thigh bone. In the absence of adequate blood circulation the bone cells die, this is known as a process called avascular necrosis.
What are the causes of Perthes Disease?
The causes of Perthes disease are not known. Although, some studies do suggest that it could be a genetic condition. However, more research needs to be conducted on this.
- Perthes disease. OrthoInfo. Available at: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases–conditions/perthes-disease# Accessed on June 16, 2020.
- Perthes disease. Mayo Clinics. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/legg-calve-perthes-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20374343 Accessed on June 16, 2020.
- Perthes disease. Ortho Kids. Available at: https://orthokids.org/Condition/Legg-Calve-Perthes-Disease Accessed on June 16, 2020.
- Perthes disease. Cleveland Clinic. Available at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/14587-perthes-disease Accessed on June 16, 2020.
- Perthes disease. Hopkins Medicine. Available at: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/perthes-disease-leggcalveperthes-disease Accessed on June 16, 2020.