Causes, Symptoms, Risk factors, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Perthes Disease diagnosed?
The first step in an accurate diagnosis of this condition is a comprehensive physical examination test and analysis of medical history that is carried out by the doctor. Some diagnostic procedures that follow are:
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan
- Bone scan
- Blood tests
At Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad, we provide various diagnostic procedures for a complete and accurate analysis of all our patients. We also have a 24-hour running diagnostic center which makes us one of the top centers in India.
How is Perthes Disease prevented?
Since the cause of this condition is not clearly known, the prevention of the disease is not clear. However, it is recommended that children should not put excess pressure on the joint.
What is the treatment for Perthes Disease?
The treatment of this condition is aimed at ensuring that the femoral head remains as round as possible, as well as to reduce the joint pain. Treatment depends on the individual’s condition, but may include:
- Medication: Anti-inflammatory medications are given to patients to relieve the pain.
- Limiting Activity: Activities that cause distress and pain are often reduced.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy and exercises are used to maintain muscle strength and increase flexibility.
- Casting and Bracing: Casts and braces are used to provide support and reduce the pressure exerted on the joints.
- Surgery: Surgical procedures are performed to correct the deformed head.
Our team of experts provide the best treatments to every individual based on their condition, making Yashoda Hospitals one of the top centers in Hyderabad.
- Perthes disease. OrthoInfo. Available at: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases–conditions/perthes-disease# Accessed on June 16, 2020.
- Perthes disease. Mayo Clinics. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/legg-calve-perthes-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20374343 Accessed on June 16, 2020.
- Perthes disease. Ortho Kids. Available at: https://orthokids.org/Condition/Legg-Calve-Perthes-Disease Accessed on June 16, 2020.
- Perthes disease. Cleveland Clinic. Available at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/14587-perthes-disease Accessed on June 16, 2020.
- Perthes disease. Hopkins Medicine. Available at: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/perthes-disease-leggcalveperthes-disease Accessed on June 16, 2020.