Causes, Symptoms, Risk factors, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
What are the symptoms of Perthes Disease?
Some of the symptoms of this condition are:
- Pain in the knee, hip or groin region especially when putting excess weight
- Worsening of pain in the upper part of the leg
- Pain that worsens with activity and is relieved with rest
- Painful muscle spasms may be caused by irritation around the hip
- Stiffness in the affected hip
- Decreased range of movement
- Sometimes, the affected leg may become shorter
What are the risk factors of Perthes Disease?
Some risk factors that make an individual susceptible to this condition are:
- Age: This disease can affect children of nearly any age, but it is commonly found in children between the ages of 4 to 8.
- Gender: It is more common in boys than girls
- Race: White children are more likely to develop this disorder than other races.
- Genetic mutations may cause bone abnormalities
What are the complications of Perthes Disease?
The complications of this condition include:
- Head of the femur may lose its normal spherical shape and collapse
- Degenerative joint disease may occur
- The affected leg may lose some of its motion and may become shorter than the other leg
- Children with Perthes disease are at higher risk of developing hip arthritis later in life
- Irregular contouring, flattening, or mushrooming of the head
- Shortening and broadening of the neck
- Flattening of the vertical wall of the acetabulum
- Perthes disease. OrthoInfo. Available at: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases–conditions/perthes-disease# Accessed on June 16, 2020.
- Perthes disease. Mayo Clinics. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/legg-calve-perthes-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20374343 Accessed on June 16, 2020.
- Perthes disease. Ortho Kids. Available at: https://orthokids.org/Condition/Legg-Calve-Perthes-Disease Accessed on June 16, 2020.
- Perthes disease. Cleveland Clinic. Available at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/14587-perthes-disease Accessed on June 16, 2020.
- Perthes disease. Hopkins Medicine. Available at: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/perthes-disease-leggcalveperthes-disease Accessed on June 16, 2020.