Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Osteomalacia diagnosed?
The first step in an accurate and correct diagnosis of osteomalacia is to understand the patient’s family history and daily diet. This is followed by certain other diagnostic procedures such as:
- Blood and urine tests: To detect the levels of alkaline phosphatase and parathyroid hormone
- Bone biopsy: In this procedure, the surgeon inserts a thin needle through the skin into the pelvic bone present above the hip and withdraws a small sample of bone for detection.
We provide a wide range of diagnostic services at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad for osteomalacia. We have trained and experienced doctors who help us to carry out these activities easily and within no time which makes us one of the best centers in Hyderabad.
How is Osteomalacia prevented?
There are certain preventive measures one can take such as:
- Eat foods rich in vitamin D such as eggs, fish, bread, milk, and cheese.
- Supplements are recommended for people who do not get enough vitamin D from diet.
- Exposure to sunlight to absorb greater amounts of vitamin D.
What is the treatment for Osteomalacia?
- Medications and diet: People suffering from osteomalacia are often prescribed medicines and need to follow a strict diet to enhance the levels of vitamin D in their body.
- Oral supplements: Oral supplements are also given to these patients for vitamin, phosphorus, etc.
At Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad, we are known for giving specialized treatment to our patients depending on their disease condition. We also consider other factors such as age, previous medical history before planning treatment. Our remarkable efforts for patient outcomes and exemplary services make us one of the top centers in India.
- Osteomalacia. Mayo Clinic. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/osteomalacia/symptoms-causes/syc-20355514 Accessed on June 29, 2020.
- Osteomalacia. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/osteomalacia Accessed on June 29, 2020.
- Osteomalacia. Versus Arthritis. Available at: https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteomalacia/ Accessed on June 29, 2020.
- Osteomalacia. Cleveland Clinic. Available at: A https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/13017-osteomalacia Accessed on June 29, 2020.