Estrogen deficiency state
Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
What is Estrogen deficiency state?
Estrogen is a hormone produced in higher quantities in females but is also present in smaller quantities in males.
Estrogen deficiency also known as hypoestrogenism is a condition that refers to a lower level of estrogen than normal. Since it is a primary sex hormone in females, it’s deficiency may result in differences in the skin, breasts, genitalia, and urinary tract.
What are the causes of Estrogen deficiency state?
Some underlying causes of this condition are caused due to:
- Excessive exercising
- Eating disorders such as anorexia, bulimia
- Pituitary gland that is less functional than normal
- Premature ovarian failure due to genetic causes, toxins, autoimmune disorders
- Turner syndrome: It is a condition wherein one of the x chromosomes is completely or partially missing
- Chronic kidney disease
- Estrogen deficiency state. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/womens-health/low-estrogen-symptoms Accessed on June 26th, 2020.
- Estrogen deficiency state. Science Direct. Available at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/estrogen-deficiency Accessed on June 26th, 2020.
- Estrogen deficiency state. Medscape. Available at: https://www.medscape.com/answers/330598-82968/what-is-the-role-of-estrogen-deficiency-in-the-pathogenesis-of-osteoporosis Accessed on June 26th, 2020.