Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
What is Paget’s disease?
Paget’s disease is a disease condition of the bone. In a healthy bone, old pieces of bone are involved in a process of remodeling and they are replaced by new bone. In this disease, this process of remodeling is shifted out of balance, so that the new bone that is formed is irregularly shaped, fragile and brittle. This condition mostly occurs in the pelvis, spine, and legs.
Paget’s disease of bone
Paget’s disease of bone interferes with the body’s natural process of bone recycling and results in deformed bones.
What are the causes of Paget’s disease of bone?
Even though the cause of Paget’s disease is not known. However, some scientists suspect that a combination of the environment, as well as genetic causes, are responsible for this condition. Some of these causes are:
- Fractures and deformities
- Osteoarthritis and other related problems
- Paget’s disease. Mayo Clinic. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pagets-disease-of-bone/symptoms-causes/syc-20350811 Accessed on June 28, 2020.
- Paget’s disease. OrthoInfo. Available at: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases–conditions/pagets-disease-of-bone Accessed on June 28, 2020.
- Paget’s disease. Medical News Today. Available at: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/177668 Accessed on June 28, 2020.
- Paget’s disease. Rheumatology. Available at: https://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/Patient-Caregiver/Diseases-Conditions/Pagets-Disease-of-Bone Accessed on June 28, 2020.