Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
What is Hypocalcemia?
Calcium is an element that has various functions in the body such as the formation of bones, teeth, blood clotting, etc. Hypocalcemia or calcium deficiency is a condition in which the level of calcium in blood or plasma is less than average in the body.
What are the causes of Hypocalcemia?
Mild hypocalcemia can sometimes be asymptomatic
- Increased levels of lactic acid in the blood
- Increased levels of phosphate in the blood
- Decreased albumin concentration
- Some medications, such as phenytoin, phenobarbital may reduce calcium levels in the body
- Stress, anxiety
- Excessive exercise performed by the individual
- Intestinal disorders
- Cancer that is spreading
- Diabetes in new mothers
- Hypocalcemia. Healthline. Available: https://www.healthline.com/health/hypocalcemia Accessed on June 29, 2020.
- Hypocalcemia. Medscape. Available at: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/241893-overview Accessed on June 29, 2020.
- Hypocalcemia. Medicine Net. Available at: https://www.medicinenet.com/hypocalcemia_symptoms_and_signs/symptoms.htm Accessed on June 29, 2020.