Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OI)
Types, Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Osteogenesis Imperfecta diagnosed?
There are certain diagnostic procedures for this condition such as:
- Analysis of family history
- Bone density test
- DNA testing
Our orthopedic department is one of the first in Hyderabad with 24/7 services and facilities. We are equipped with world-class technologies at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad that makes us one of the top hospitals in India.
How is Osteogenesis Imperfecta prevented?
Since this is a genetic disorder, there isn’t much an individual can do to prevent osteogenesis imperfecta. However, light exercise and low impact physical activity are suggested.
What is the treatment for Osteogenesis Imperfecta?
Some treatment strategies for this condition are:
- Devices: Using devices such as splint and orthopedic cast to support the bones and prevent them from any fracture.
- Medication: Patients with osteogenesis imperfecta are often prescribed with medications for bone health and dietary supplements.
- Percutaneous vertebroplasty: It is a procedure in which a special cement is injected through the skin into the spine to repair a fractured bone.
- Bone surgery: Bone surgeries are performed to align or shorten a bone.
- Orthognathic surgery: It is a surgery to correct deformities of the jaw.
- Distraction osteogenesis: It is a procedure for surgically lengthening a bone.
We are one of the top hospitals in Hyderabad with years of experience in treating orthopedic disorders with the help and support of our multidisciplinary team. Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad is one of the best centers for orthopedic treatment in India.
- Osteogenesis imperfect. Kids Health. Available at: https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/osteogenesis-imperfecta.html Accessed on June 29, 2020.
- 2.Osteogenesis imperfecta. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/osteogenesis-imperfecta Accessed on June 29, 2020.
- 3.Osteogenesis imperfecta. Cleveland clinic. Available at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/15807-osteogenesis-imperfecta Accessed on June 29, 2020.
- 4. Osteogenesis imperfecta. Hopkins Medicince. Available at: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/osteogenesis-imperfecta Accessed on June 29, 2020.