Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
What are the symptoms of Hyperparathyroidism?
Symptoms that may indicate an individual is suffering from this condition are:
- Fragile bones susceptible to fracture
- Kidney stones are common
- Excessive urination and thirst
- Abdominal pain
- Tiring easily or weakness
- Depression or forgetfulness
- Bone and joint pain
- Frequent complaints of illness with no apparent cause
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite
- Problems in concentrating at work, confusion
- Fatigue, depression
- Reduced function of the kidney
- Increase in blood pressure
What are the complications of Hyperparathyroidism?
Major complications that may arise due to hyperparathyroidism are:
- Osteoporosis: It is a condition in which the bones break very easily.
- Kidney stones: The presence of excess calcium in the body may lead to the formation of hard deposits of it in the kidney.
- Cardiovascular disease: Conditions such as hypertension and other heart diseases become common
- Neonatal hypoparathyroidism: It is a condition in newborns due to untreated hyperparathyroidism during pregnancy.
- Hyperparathyroidism. Cleveland Clinic. Available at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/14454-hyperparathyroidism Accessed on June 30, 2020.
- Hyperparathyroidism. Mayo Clinic. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyperparathyroidism/symptoms-causes/syc-20356194 Accessed on June 30, 2020.
- Hyperparathyroidism. Healthline. Available at:https://www.healthline.com/health/hyperparathyroidism Accessed on June 30, 2020.
- Hyperparathyroidism. Medscape. Available at: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/127351-overview Accessed on June 30, 2020.