Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Hyperparathyroidism diagnosed?
The diagnostic procedures for this condition are:
- Blood tests: These are done to assess the calcium levels in the blood
- Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA): To check the bone mineral density
- Urine test: To detect the presence of calcium
- Imaging of kidney
- Sestamibi parathyroid scan
- Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG)
We provide world-class facilities and services to our patients at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad. We also strive to detect the root cause of the problem to treat them as early as possible with the help of our advanced technologies that makes us one of the best centers in Hyderabad.
How is Hyperparathyroidism prevented?
To prevent the development of this condition, it is important to take certain preventive measures such as:
- People suffering from hyperparathyroidism must include appropriate levels of calcium and vitamin D in their diet.
- Drink a lot of fluids
- Exercise regularly and lose weight
- Decrease smoking and tobacco consumption
- Avoid taking drugs that may raise calcium levels in the body.
What is the treatment for Hyperparathyroidism?
The treatment strategies for this condition include:
- Calcimimetics: They mimic the calcium circulating in the blood to trick the glands to release less PTH.
- Hormone replacement therapy: Hormone replacement therapy may help bones retain the required amount of calcium. This therapy is exclusively for women.
- Bisphosphonates: They prevent the loss of calcium from bones which in turn reduces the pain and prevents other complications.
- Surgery: In severe cases of hyperparathyroidism, doctors may suggest surgery. In the surgery, the glands that are enlarged or have a tumor are removed.
Our team of experts at Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad study the case and suggest the best treatment strategies which are customized as per the patient’s condition. Our services and successful treatment cases in the past few years have made us one of the top hospitals in Hyderabad.
- Hyperparathyroidism. Cleveland Clinic. Available at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/14454-hyperparathyroidism Accessed on June 30, 2020.
- Hyperparathyroidism. Mayo Clinic. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyperparathyroidism/symptoms-causes/syc-20356194 Accessed on June 30, 2020.
- Hyperparathyroidism. Healthline. Available at:https://www.healthline.com/health/hyperparathyroidism Accessed on June 30, 2020.
- Hyperparathyroidism. Medscape. Available at: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/127351-overview Accessed on June 30, 2020.