Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Renal osteodystrophy diagnosed?
To detect whether a person is suffering from renal osteodystrophy or not, certain diagnostic procedures are used:
- Blood test: It is done to check the levels of calcium, phosphorus, and PTH in the blood.
- Radiographs: It is an image produced on a film by X-rays or other radiations.
- CT Scan
Our orthopedic department is working around the clock. We are equipped with one of the best facilities and treatments in Hyderabad that makes us one of the top hospitals in Hyderabad.
How is Renal osteodystrophy prevented?
Renal osteodystrophy can be prevented by:
- Avoid the development of parathyroid gland hyperplasia
- Vitamin D therapy
- Substitution with oral calcium
- Treatment of metabolic acidosis
What is the treatment for Renal osteodystrophy?
Treatment for renal osteodystrophy includes the following:
- Supplements: Calcium and vitamin D supplements are prescribed to patients dealing with renal osteodystrophy. Active forms of vitamin D are often used.
- Phosphate limitation: Restriction in levels of consumption of phosphate is an important strategy in renal osteodystrophy It can be managed by using phosphate binders such as calcium carbonate, calcium acetate, etc.
- Transplant: Renal transplantation or kidney transplantation is a procedure in which a kidney is transplanted into the patient suffering from end-stage kidney disease.
- Hemodialysis: It is a treatment procedure to filter out the wastes as well as water from the blood to mimic the natural functioning of the kidney. It helps to control the blood pressure and maintain the level of minerals in the body.
- Parathyroidectomy: It is the surgical procedure to remove either one of the four parathyroid glands or parathyroid tumors. This is done to lower the levels of parathyroid hormones. This procedure is performed for end-stage diseases.
We are one of the best hospitals in Hyderabad and we have years of experience and expertise in treating all kinds of disorders with the help and support of our multidisciplinary team. Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad is one of the top centers for the treatment of orthopedic problems in India.
- Renal osteodystrophy. Medicine Net. Available at: https://www.medicinenet.com/osteodystrophy/article.html Accessed on June 27, 2020.
- Renal osteodystrophy. Ortho Bullets. Available at: http://www.orthobullets.com/basic-science/9030/renal-osteodystrophy Accessed on June 27, 2020.
- Renal osteodystrophy. Mayo Clinic. Available at: https://mayoclinic.pure.elsevier.com/en/publications/renal-osteodystrophy Accessed on June 27, 2020.