Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Osteopenia prevented?
People can make certain lifestyle modifications to live an overall healthier life to prevent the occurrence of osteopenia, some of these changes are:
- Daily exercise to prevent excess weight gain
- Consume enough calcium and vitamin D through diet as well as supplements
- Quit or at least reduce smoking and tobacco consumption
- Cut down on alcohol
How is Osteopenia diagnosed?
The various diagnostic assessments used for this condition are:
- X-ray: To analyze whether the bone mineral density is lower than normal
- Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scan to measure BMD (bone mineral density): In this test, the scan measures the BMD in the hip, spine, and wrist since these sites are more prone to bone fracture. It predicts accurately the risk of a future fracture in these areas. This scan gives a T and a Z score. The Z score is used to compare the BMD of the patient to an average person’s BMD of the same age and gender. The T score is used to compare the patient’s BMD to the BMD of a healthy individual of 30 of the same gender. These scores are then used to measure the standard deviation above or below the normal values.
- Peripheral dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (pDXA)
- Quantitative computed tomography (QCT)
- Peripheral QCT (pQCT)
- Quantitative ultrasound densitometry (QUS)
We provide our patients with the best diagnosis facilities and technologies so that we can diagnose as well as cure their bone conditions smoothly and as early as possible. We, at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad give the best services to our patients and have become one of the best hospitals in India because of that.
What is the treatment for Osteopenia?
Some of the treatment strategies for this condition are:
- Medications: Bisphosphonates such as alendronic acid, ibandronic acid, etc. are used in treating
- Self-care: Self-care strategies include physical exercises and a strict and healthy diet.
At Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad, we provide the best of treatments for people suffering from extreme bone diseases and have helped our patients for faster recovery. With our integrated approach, we have become one of the top hospitals in India.
- Osteopenia. WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/guide/osteopenia-early-signs-of-bone-loss Accessed on June 28, 2020.
- Osteopenia. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/osteopenia Accessed on June 28, 2020.
- Osteopenia. Health Harvad. Available at: https://www.health.harvard.edu/womens-health/osteopenia-when-you-have-weak-bones-but-not-osteoporosis Accessed on June 28, 2020.
- Osteopenia. Medical News Day. Available at: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318321 Accessed on June 28, 2020.