Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Congenital Scoliosis diagnosed?
Some of the diagnostic procedures used for the detection of this condition are:
- MRI scan
- CT scan
We provide a wide range of diagnoses internally at Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad for all kinds of scoliosis diseases. We have trained and experienced professionals who help us to carry out these activities smoothly and within no time making us one of the top centers in India.
How is Congenital Scoliosis prevented?
One way to prevent the development of this condition is to ensure appropriate rest to the pregnant women. Bracing or casting may also prevent its advancement.
What is the treatment for Congenital Scoliosis?
There are various treatment strategies available for this condition. Some of these are:
- Bracing: They are sometimes used to control the compensatory curves where the vertebrae are abnormally shaped. These are usually worn for a period of 3 to 4 months.
- Surgery: It is only reserved for patients who have curves that have significantly worsened over time, the presence of severe curves or a large deformity on the spine, or for people who have developed neurological conditions due to an abnormal spinal cord.
- Spinal fusion: It is a surgical procedure in which the abnormal curved vertebrae are fused to initiate their healing into a single bone. It stops the growth completely in the abnormal part of the spine and prevents the worsening of the curves.
- Hemivertebra removal: It is a procedure of removal of a single hemivertebra which results in a partial correction of the curve that can then be maintained using metal implants. This procedure can only fuse two to three vertebrae.
- Growing rod: It is a procedure in which one to two rods are attached to the spine above and below the curve. Every 6 months, the doctor lengthens the rods to keep up with the child’s growth. In a fully grown child, these rods are removed and spinal fusion is performed.
We, at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad are known for giving specialized treatment to all our patients depending on their conditions as we also consider other factors such as age, previous medical history before planning treatment. Our services throughout the years have made us one of the best centers in Hyderabad.
- Congenital Scoliosis. CHOP. Available at: https://www.chop.edu/conditions-diseases/congenital-scoliosis Accessed on June 23, 2020.
- Congenital Scoliosis. Ortho Bullets. Available at: http://www.orthobullets.com/spine/2060/congenital-scoliosis Accessed on June 23, 2020.
- Congenital Scoliosis. SRS. Available at: https://www.srs.org/professionals/online-education-and-resources/conditions-and-treatments/congenital-scoliosis Accessed on June 23, 2020.
- Congenital Scoliosis. NBCI. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3468011/ Accessed on June 23, 2020.