Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Cervical Radiculopathy diagnosed?
The diagnosis of this condition usually begins with a physical examination and analysis of the medical history of the patient. It is followed by one or more of the following diagnostic assessments:
- CT scans
- Spurling’s test: It is a test in which the doctor analyzes if the compression of the cervical spine makes the condition better or worse for the patient. It is done by making the patient bend the head to the side where symptoms usually occur and gently applying pressure to the head.
Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad is equipped with one of the best facilities and modern technologies which helps us to detect and cure the problem as efficiently as possible making us one of the top centers in Hyderabad.
How is Cervical Radiculopathy prevented?
To prevent the development of this condition, there are certain preventive measures one can take:
- Maintaining good posture
- Proper lifting techniques
- Regular physical activity
- Developing core strength
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Taking frequent breaks
What is the treatment for Cervical Radiculopathy?
Some of the treatment strategies of this condition are:
- Rest: It is usually recommended to limit the involvement in strenuous exercises like sports and ensuring appropriate posture while sitting.
- Ice and heat application: Usually the application of an ice pack or heated gel pack is recommended to relieve the pain and to reduce the inflammation.
- Non-steroidal drugs: Administration of pain medications is recommended only to reduce the inflammation.
- Physical therapy: Therapists usually prescribe certain exercises and stretching routines according to the patient’s needs to improve the flexibility and strength of the back to hold them in better posture and become resistant to pain.
- Cervical epidural steroid injection: This injection is usually placed in the cervical spine’s epidural space to bathe the nerve root with a steroid drug.
- Manual manipulation: It is a technique in which the doctor manually adjusts the cervical spine to improve mobility and provide a better healing environment.
- Cervical traction: It is a procedure in which a cervical traction device is used to gently apply pressure to the space between cervical vertebrae, especially in the area of intervertebral foramina where the nerve roots pass.
Our team consists of top orthopedic surgeons, trauma surgeons, physical medicine experts, physiotherapists, and a bone specialist doctor in the state with their dedicated support. We have become one of the top hospitals in Hyderabad for cervical radiculopathy treatment.
- Cervical Radiculopathy. Ortho Bullets. Avaialble at: http://www.orthobullets.com/basic-science/9030/renal-osteodystrophy Accessed on June 27, 2020.
- 2. Cervical Radiculopathy. Hopkins Medicine. Available at: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/radiculopathy Accessed on June 27, 2020.
- 3. Cervical Radiculopathy. Medscape. Available at: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/94118-overview Accessed on June 27, 2020.