Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
What is Scoliosis?
Scoliosis is a condition of the spine in which a sideways curvature develops. It is most common during the growth spurts in children just before puberty. This condition may be mild with few symptoms initially but may lead to severe deformities as the child grows. These severe deformities may be extremely painful and disabling for the child.
What are the causes of Scoliosis?
The major causes of scoliosis are:
- Neuromuscular condition
- Birth defects
- Injuries to or infections of the spine
- Scoliosis. WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/back-pain/causes-scoliosis#1 Accessed on June 20, 2020.
- Scoliosis. Spine Health. Available at: https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/scoliosis/scoliosis-what-you-need-know Accessed on June 20, 2020.
- Scoliosis. Cleveland Clinic. Available at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/15837-adult-scoliosis/diagnosis-and-tests Accessed on June 20, 2020.
- Scoliosis. AANS. Available at: https://www.aans.org/Patients/Neurosurgical-Conditions-and-Treatments/Scoliosis Accessed on June 20, 2020.