How to treat Acute Ischemic stroke using Intra-arterial Thrombolytic Therapy effectively?
Strokes are classified into two – ischemic and hemorrhagic. When the blood supply is stopped to a part of the brain an ischemic stroke may occur. Usually, a blood clot in the blood vessel is the cause for Ischemic stroke.
Ischemic strokes may occur due to,
- Build up of fatty material along the walls of the arteries carrying oxygenated blood to the brain
- Breaking off of the fatty material from a large artery, moving along the artery to block a smaller artery to reduce the flow of blood flow to the brain
- Travelling of blood clots originated in the heart to the brain. On the course of movement along the arteries, the blood clots may cause blockage, to slow down or stop the flow of blood to the brain
- Getting infected, where the blood vessel is damaged due to inflammation or infection
- Taking drugs like cocaine and amphetamines that can potentially narrow blood vessels
- Losing a lot of blood during an accident, which may deny the brain of the proper blood flows, resulting in the person to faint and also suffer from stroke.
Thrombolysis is the process to disperse blood clots. Drugs such as Alteplase, which is a tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) is helps with the thrombolysis process.
Other drugs used as part of the thrombolytic therapy include, Lanoteplase, Reteplase, Staphylokinase, Streptokinase (SK), Tenecteplase, and Urokinase.
It would be helpful only by giving drugs as part of the thrombolytic therapy within 3 hours of the first stroke, sans which there would be damage and irreparable disability of the brain. However, a particular thrombolytic can be used only after proper diagnosis is conducted.
The diagnosis process includes, CT Scan of the brain, and physical examination. The medical history of the patient is also taken into consideration.
The Center for Neurology at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad is one of the first and very few centres in India to introduce Intra-arterial Thrombolytic Therapy for Acute Ischemic Stroke. Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad proven as the best neurology hospital in hyderabad .
The Centre 24-hour emergency thrombolytic therapy of intra-arterial or intravenous thrombolysis.
The Center for Neurology at Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad performs breakthrough surgeries. Its team of Neuro physicians offers round-the-clock support to the patients.