Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis
Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Spondylolysis diagnosed?
The diagnostic assessments for this condition are:
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan
At Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad, we have a well-versed team of doctors and surgeons who specialize in treating all kinds of orthopedic disorders making us one of the top centers in India.
How is Spondylolysis prevented?
Early treatment is the only solution to prevent the development of this condition.
What is the treatment for Spondylolysis?
The main goals of treatment are to reduce the pain, allow fracture healing, and let the patient return to daily activities.
Some of the treatment strategies for it are:
- Rest: Allowing complete rest and preventing participation in sports and other activities that are bound to put stress on the back.
- Physical therapy: Practicing mild exercises to improve the flexibility, stretching of tight hamstring muscles, and strengthening the back muscles.
- NSAIDs: Administration of ibuprofen, naproxen etc to relieve the pain.
- Bracing: Patients are recommended to wear a back brace for a while to reduce the movement of the spine and allow fracture healing.
- Surgery: It is recommended for patients with severe slippage or when nonsurgicaltreatments are ineffective. The procedure is called spinal fusion in which the affected vertebrae are fused to allow them to heal into a single bone. It limits the movement between the damaged vertebrae and decreases the spinal flexibility to an extent. In this technique, the doctor realigns the vertebrae of the lumbar spine and places bone graft into the empty spaces. Over time these bones fuse to become one.
Our team of top surgeons and consultants at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad recommend the best treatments for patients depending on their condition and medical history. With the help of our dedicated and experienced staff, we have treated a lot of patients with spondylolysis successfully over the years making us the best hospital in Hyderabad.
- Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/cervical-spondylosis Accessed on June 20, 2020.
- Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis. Spine Health.Available at: https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spondylolisthesis/spondylolysis-and-spondylolisthesis Accessed on June 20, 2020.
- Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis. Hopkins Medicine. Available at: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/spondylolysis Accessed on June 20, 2020.
- Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis. WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/cervical-osteoarthritis-cervical-spondylosis Accessed on June 20, 2020.