Hamstring Muscle Strain
Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Hamstring Muscle Strain diagnosed?
The first step towards a complete and accurate diagnosis of hamstring injury involves a physical examination in which the doctor checks the thigh for swelling and bruising to determine if the injury is mild or severe. This is followed by a few diagnostic assements:
- X-rays: To check if the bone is fractured
- MRI: To check the tear in the muscle tissue
- Ultrasound: To produce a detailed image of muscles and analyze the size and location of the tear
Yashoda Hospitals has the best team of doctors and advanced equipment, which allow the diagnostic results to come easily and quickly. This is why Yashoda Hospitals is one of the top centers in India.
How is Hamstring Muscle Strain prevented?
Since these injuries can cause a lot of discomfort to the individual, athletes should take certain preventive measures such as:
- Warm-up exercises before physical activity
- Stretching after physical activity
- Increase the intensity of the physical activity slowly
- Stop exercising when an individual feels pain in the back of the thigh
- Practice stretching and strengthen hamstrings
What is the treatment for Hamstring Muscle Strain?
The treatment strategies for this condition are:
- Rest: The patient must take a break from the activities that caused the symptoms in the first place. Doctors may also advise crutches to avoid pressure exerted on the leg.
- Ice: Icing the legs helps relieve the pain. It is recommended to ice the legs for 20 minutes multiple times a day.
- Leg Compressions: To prevent blood loss and swellings, patients are often asked to wear electric compressors.
- Painkillers: Anti-inflammatory painkillers are prescribed to patients to soothe the pain
- Stretching And Exercises: Practicing stretchings and doing exercises strengthens the muscles and increases flexibility that in turn reduces inflammation and pain.
- Surgery: Surgery is often performed when the tendon has pulled away from the bone completely.
The orthopedic team here at Yashoda Hospitals is highly trained to cure problems such as hamstring injury. Our experienced team of doctors with the help of advanced technology and equipment which are available at our centers will diagnose the condition and provide the patient with the best possible treatment.
- Hamstring Muscle Strain. Kids Health. Available at: https://kidshealth.org/en/teens/hamstring-strain.html Accessed on June 17, 2020.
- Hamstring Muscle Strain. WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/hamstring-strain Accessed on June 17, 2020.
- Hamstring Muscle Strain. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/hamstring-tear Accessed on June 17, 2020.
- Hamstring Muscle Strain. Mayo Clinic. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hamstring-injury/symptoms-causes/syc-20372985 Accessed on June 17, 2020.