Hamstring Muscle Strain
Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
What are the symptoms of Hamstring Muscle Strain?
Some symptoms that may indicate that an individual is suffering from hamstring injury are:
- Sudden and intense pain during exercise or other activities
- A feeling of snapping or popping during the activity
- Pain in the back of the thigh while walking, bending, etc
- Tenderness in the affected area
- Bruising and swelling in the affected area
What are the risk factors of Hamstring Muscle Strain?
Some of the risk factors that may lead to a hamstring injury are:
- Participation in sports that involve running or sprinting, or activities such as dancing
- Previous hamstring injury if an individual is involved in the same activities that lead to the first one
- Muscle imbalance and tightness
- Flexibility: In individuals with poor flexibility, muscles may get strained very easily.
- Poor conditioning
- Muscle fatigue
What are the Complications of Hamstring Muscle Injury?
The major complication that may arise is the worsening of the injury or recurrence of it in a treated condition. Other complications are:
- Muscle Injuries
- Other Knee-Related conditions
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Cramps in the affected area causing discomfort
- Hamstring Muscle Strain. Kids Health. Available at: https://kidshealth.org/en/teens/hamstring-strain.html Accessed on June 17, 2020.
- Hamstring Muscle Strain. WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/hamstring-strain Accessed on June 17, 2020.
- Hamstring Muscle Strain. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/hamstring-tear Accessed on June 17, 2020.
- Hamstring Muscle Strain. Mayo Clinic. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hamstring-injury/symptoms-causes/syc-20372985 Accessed on June 17, 2020.