Elbow (Olecranon) Bursitis
Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Elbow Bursitis diagnosed?
Some of our common diagnostic procedures are:
- Blood test
- Fluid test
Our orthopedic unit is working round the clock. We are equipped with some of the best diagnostic facilities in India that makes us one of the top hospitals in India. Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad has years of experience in treating patients with complex elbow bursitis problems and we have given the best results to our patients over the years with the help of our top surgeons
How is Elbow Bursitis prevented?
Our doctors and physical therapists may suggest some tips to prevent this disease from developing or progressing to a severe stage. Below mentioned are the few factors to avoid elbow bursitis:
- Avoid leaning excessively on an elbow.
- Using a wrist guard/pad to cushion the elbow leaning on it.
- Using a proper typing arm position.
- Avoiding hard hits to the tip of the elbow.
- Use elbow pads during sports or other physical activities.
- Follow a consistent flexibility and strengthening exercise program.
- Always warm-up before starting a sport.
- Gradually increase any athletic activity.
- Avoid prolonged pressure to the elbow.
What is the treatment for Elbow Bursitis?
We are one of the best hospitals in Hyderabad with years of experience in treating elbow bursitis with the help and support of our multidisciplinary team. Some of these are:
- Massaging ice on the affected elbow.
- Medication: Pain relief medications can be taken occasionally on prescription.
- Elbow pad: Wrapping an elbow pad causes compression and traps heat which helps in reducing the inflammation.
- Physical therapy: Common stretches such as flexion stretch, extension stretch, hand flips, etc.
- Injecting corticosteroids directly to the inflamed area.
- Surgery: The affected area is numbed using a local anesthetic and the excess fluid is removed out of the bursa.
- Elbow Bursitis. WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/arthritis/olecranon-bursitis Accessed on June 16th, 2020.
- Elbow Bursitis. Arthistis. Available at: https://www.arthritis-health.com/types/bursitis/elbow-olecranon-bursitis Accessed on June 16th, 2020.
- Elbow Bursitis. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/sports-injuries/elbow-bursitis Accessed on June 16th, 2020.
- Elbow Bursitis. Mayo Clinic. Available at: https://sportsmedicine.mayoclinic.org/condition/elbow-bursitis/ Accessed on June 16th, 2020.