Diabetic Charcot Foot
Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Diabetic Charcot Foot diagnosed?
These are a few of the assessments used in order to ascertain the diagnosis of a condition:
- Semmes-Weinstein monofilament test
- Pinprick test
- Neurometer test
We provide a wide range of diagnostic services at Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad, for all kinds of orthopedic diseases. We have trained and experienced professionals who help us to carry out these activities smoothly and within no time making us one of the top centers in India.
How is Diabetic Charcot Foot prevented?
Charcot Foot can be prevented by the following preventive measures:
- Blood Sugar Levels Under Control
- Quit Smoking
- Stop excessive alcohol Consumption
What is the treatment for Diabetic Charcot Foot?
Following are the treatment measures that are taken by the doctors to treat and cure Charcot Foot:
- Walking Brace: Braces and other assistive devices such as crutches and walkers help reduce the pressure on the feet.
- Customized Walking Boot: After the initial swelling is reduced, the bones begin to fuse back together. A custom walking boot aka diabetic show must be worn by the patient to avoid complications. These shoes are specially designed to decrease the risk of ulcers too.
- Medication: Medications recommended by doctors are given to patients to reduce the swelling and pain.
- Surgery: When the condition doesn’t respond well to the non-surgical methods, surgery must be performed. Surgery involves the removal of the prominent bone by shaving it off. There are various types of surgeries that depend on the severity of the condition.
- Casting: When diagnosed at an early stage, Charcot can be treated with a cast or a cast boot. It protects the foot and ankle by reducing the pressure which in turn reduces the swelling.
At Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad, we are known for giving specialized treatment to all our patients depending on their conditions, as we also consider other factors such as age, previous medical history before planning treatment. Our services throughout the years have made us one of the best centers in Hyderabad.
You may also interested in reading
Read More Information
- Diabetic Charcot Foot. Diabetes Journal. Available at: https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/9/2123 Accessed on June 24th, 2020.
- Diabetic Charcot Foot. WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/what-is-charcot-foot Accessed on June 24th, 2020.
- Diabetic Charcot Foot.Foot Health Facts Available at: https://www.foothealthfacts.org/conditions/charcot-foot Accessed on June 24th, 2020.
- Diabetic Charcot Foot. Cleveland Clinic. Available at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/15836-charcot-foot Accessed on June 24th, 2020.
- Diabetic Charcot Foot. Diabetes.co. Available at: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-charcot-foot.html Accessed on June 24th, 2020.