De Quervain Tenosynovitis
Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Complications, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
De Quervain Tenosynovitis Prevention
The development of De Quervain Tenosynovitis can be prevented by ensuring one or more of the following:
- Avoid repetitive movements
- Reduce the stress on the wrists
- Take frequent breaks
- Wear a brace or splint
De Quervain Tenosynovitis Diagnosis
A physical examination by the doctor is the first step in the diagnosis of this condition, in which the doctor checks to see if any wrist movement causes pain and discomfort to the patient. It is followed by other diagnostic tools such as:
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan
We have a 24-hour working diagnosis center in our orthopedic department making us one of the first hospitals to provide round the clock services which has led to us becoming one of the best hospitals in Hyderabad.
De Quervain Tenosynovitis Treatment
The treatment for this condition is aimed at reducing the extent of inflammation, preserving thumb movement and preventing episodes of relapse. Some of these treatment strategies are:
- Home care: Massaging ice to the affected area to control inflammation and avoiding activities that involve repetitive wrist movements.
- Medication: Use of drugs painkillers recommended by doctors to reduce the swelling as well as the pain. The doctors may also recommend injecting corticosteroids to decrease the inflammation.
- Wearing a splint: Immobilizing the thumb and wrist to rest the tendons and keep them straight.
- Physical therapy: Mild exercises to relieve the stress on the wrist and to reduce the irritation.
- Surgery: In serious cases, surgery is recommended. In this procedure, the doctor inspects the sheath around the affected tendons and opens it to relieve the pressure on the tendon so that they can glide freely.
We are one of the few hospitals in Hyderabad with years of experience in treating De Quervain tenosynovitis successfully with the help and support of an expert professional team. We aim to provide integrated care to all our patients and are regarded as one of the top hospitals in India.
- De Quervain Tenosynovitis. Mayo Clinic. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/de-quervains-tenosynovitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20371332 Accessed on June 13, 2020.
- De Quervain Tenosynovitis. Mayo Clinic. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/de-quervains-tenosynovitis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20371337 Accessed on June 13, 2020.
- De Quervain Tenosynovitis. WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/guide/de-quervains-disease Accessed on June 13, 2020.
- De Quervain Tenosynovitis. OrthoInfo. Available at: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases–conditions/de-quervains-tendinosis/ Accessed on June 13, 2020.