Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Chordoma diagnosed?
The diagnosis of chordoma is done by following one or more of the following diagnostic procedures:
- Biopsy: It is a procedure of removing a small amount of sample of suspicious cells from the body and testing them in the lab.
- MRI scan
- CT scan
We provide the best of the facilities and services to our patients at Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad we try to diagnose and cure the patient as soon as possible with our advanced technologies that makes us the top center in India for orthopedic problems.
What is the treatment for Chordoma?
Treatment options for this condition include:
- Radiation therapy: It uses high-energy beams such as protons or X-rays to kill the cancer cells. During this therapy, the patient is asked to lie on a table and a machine moves around directing the beams on precise parts of the body. It is used before a surgery to shrink the cancer cells to make it easier to remove them. In some cases, it may be used after surgery to kill the cancer cells that remain after surgery.
- Proton therapy: It is a type of radiation treatment which allows the doctor to use higher doses of the radiation beam without harming the healthy tissue.
- Stereotactic radiosurgery: It uses multiple beams of radiation to kill the cancerous cells present in a small area. This technique may be coupled with surgery by using it either before or after the conduction of surgery.
- Targeted therapy: This therapy uses drugs which focus on very specific abnormalities of the cancer cells and attacking them in an attempt to kill the cancer cells. It is sometimes used in the treatment of chordoma which spreads to other parts of the body.
- Surgery: It is a procedure to remove all the cancerous tumors as well as some of the healthy tissue around it. It is difficult to perform since the tumors are present near critical structures such as blood vessels or nerves.
Our team of experts at Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad study each patient’s case and suggest the best possible treatment strategies for their conditions considering all the other factors. Our services since the past few years have made us one of the best hospitals in India.
- Chordoma. Mayo Clinic. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/chordoma/cdc-20355401 Accessed on June 24, 2020.
- Chordoma. Hopkins Medicine. Available at: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/chordoma Accessed on June 24, 2020.
- Chordoma. Rare Diseases. Available at: https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/chordoma/ Accessed on June 24, 2020.
- Chordoma. Cleveland Clinic. Available at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/17916-chordomas Accessed on June 24, 2020.
- Chordoma. Medscape. Available at: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/250902-overview Accessed on June 24, 2020.