Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Prevention
To prevent the development of carpal tunnel syndrome, certain measures can be taken:
- Reduce the force and relax the grip on the hand
- Take short, frequent breaks
- Watch form and improve posture
- Change computer mouse
- Keep hands warm
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Diagnosis
The diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome usually begins with a knowledge of the history of symptoms and detailed physical examination by our expert doctors near you at Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad. It is usually followed by one or more of the following:
- Electromyography: This test measures the electrical discharges produced in the muscles.
- Nerve conduction study: In this procedure, two electrodes are taped to the skin followed by passing a small shock through the median nerve to see if these impulses are slowed down in the carpal tunnel.
We provide a variety of diagnoses in-house at our centres for all types of orthopedic diseases. We have trained and experienced experts who help us carry out these activities smoothly and within a short span of time, making us one of the top centers in India.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatment
Some common strategies for the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome are:
- Bracing or splinting of the wrist: A splint holds the wrist in place while sleeping and relieves night-time symptoms.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs): Administration of aspirin, ibuprofen, etc to relieve the pain.
- Medication: Corticosteroid injections to decrease the inflammation and swelling and to control the pain.
- Endoscopic surgery: The surgeon uses an endoscope to view the carpal tunnel and cuts the ligament through an incision on the hand or wrist.
- Open surgery: The surgeon makes an incision on the palm over the carpal tunnel and frees the nerve by cutting through the ligament.
At Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad, we are known for giving specialized treatment to all our patients depending on their conditions and we also consider other factors such as age, previous medical history, and medical conditions before planning treatments. Our exemplary services make us one of the best hospitals in India.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/carpal-tunnel/carpal-tunnel-syndrome Accessed on June 13, 2020.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. OrthoInfo. Available at:https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases–conditions/carpal-tunnel-syndrome/ Accessed on June 13, 2020.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Cleveland. Available at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/4005-carpal-tunnel-syndrome Accessed on June 13, 2020.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Mayo Clinic Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/carpal-tunnel-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20355603 Accessed on June 13, 2020.