Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
Boutonniere Deformity Prevention
In order to prevent the development of boutonniere deformity in individuals, a few preventive measures can be taken especially in people playing sports, such as:
- Wearing a splint for a few days to prevent progression of damage
- Stretching exercises to ensure uniform movement and flexibility of the fingers and to prevent any excessive stress to them.
- Use correct protective equipment while playing sports or getting involved in other such activities.
Boutonniere Deformity Diagnosis
Some of the common diagnostic tools that may be used for the detection of a condition of boutonniere deformity are:
- Physical examination
Our orthopedic department works around the clock. We are well equipped with one of the top facilities and technologies for diagnosing and treating our patients in Hyderabad making us one of the best hospitals in India.
Boutonniere Deformity Treatment
The treatment strategies that are commonly used for the treatment of this condition are:
- Splints: It is applied to the middle joint of the finger in order to straighten it. This prevents the ends of the tendons from separating, and allows the end joint of the finger to bend. It is recommended to wear splints for a period of 3 to 6 weeks.
- Physical therapy: It is recommended to practice stretching exercises to restore the flexibility and strength of the fingers.
- Taping: For individuals involved in sports, protective splinting and taping of fingers is recommended for a few weeks after the removal of splints.
- Medications: Use of oral medications or corticosteroid injections.
- Surgery: It is recommended when the injury results from rheumatoid arthritis, severed tendons, displacement of a large bone fragment, or when splinting is ineffective. A surgical procedure can decrease the pain as well as improve the functioning of the fingers.
We are one of the best hospitals in Hyderabad with years of experience in treating boutonniere deformity. With the help and support of our experts, Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad is one of the best centers for the treatment of boutonniere deformity.
- Boutonniere Deformity. NCBI. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK470323 Accessed on June 14, 2020.
- Boutonniere Deformity. OrthoInfo. Available at: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases–conditions/boutonniere-deformity/ Accessed on June 14, 2020.
- Boutonniere Deformity. Medscape. Available at:https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1238095-overview Accessed on June 14, 2020.
- Boutonniere Deformity. Healthline. Available at:https://www.healthline.com/health/boutonniere-deformity-treatment Accessed on June 14, 2020.
- Boutonniere Deformity. Medical News Today. Available at: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/boutonniere-deformity Accessed on June 14, 2020.