ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) Injury
Causes, Symptoms, Risk factors, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is ACL Injury prevented?
Simple measures that can be taken by individuals to prevent an ACL Injury are:
- Practice warm-up and stretching exercises to loosen the muscles before the sports/ activity.
- Wear the right footwear and practice the right techniques to prevent straining your knees.
- Consult a sports medicine specialist to get guidance on maintaining your joints and tissues better.
- During the sports activity, try to balance the pressure on your knees to prevent strain on one knee.
How is ACL Injury diagnosed?
Common diagnostic assessments include:
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Our orthopedic unit is open 24/7 and we are equipped with state-of-the art facilities and treatment options. This has led us to be one of the top hospitals in Hyderabad.
What is the treatment for ACL Injury?
Common treatment strategies include:
- Arthroscopy: Arthroscopy is a surgical treatment that is performed to treat joint problems. A narrow tube with a fiber-optic video camera is inserted in the patient’s body (near the joint to be treated) through a small incision. This procedure enables the surgeons to see inside the joint without making a big incision.
- ACL reconstruction: ACL reconstruction is a minimally invasive surgical procedure in which the torn ligament is replaced with a piece of a tendon from some other part of the patient’s knee, or from a deceased donor.
- Rehabilitation: This is a form of physical therapy. The goal of this therapy is to reduce the swelling and pain, and restore the knee’s full range of motion and strengthen the muscles.
- Medications: There are medications too that are used in ACL treatment, they include anti-inflammatory and pain management medicines such as NSAIDs.
Our expert team of doctors at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad analyzes your case and suggests the best possible treatment strategies for your conditions. We have years of experience in treating ACL injuries making us one of the best hospitals in Hyderabad.
- ACL injury. Mayo Clinic. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acl-injury/symptoms-causes/syc-20350738 Accessed on June 12, 2020.
- ACL Injury: Diseases and Conditions. OrthoInfo. Available at:https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases–conditions/anterior-cruciate-ligament-acl-injuries/ Accessed on June 12, 2020.
- ACL Injury: what to know. WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/acl-injury-what-to-know#1 Accessed on June 12, 2020.
- ACL Injury. Medline Plus. Available at: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001074.htm Accessed on June 12, 2020.