Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Achilles Tendinitis diagnosed?
The most effective ways of diagnosis for Achilles tendinitis are listed below:
Our foot and ankle department is one of the first in Hyderabad with 24/7 services and facilities. We are equipped with one of the best facilities and technologies at Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad, making us one of the top hospitals in India.
How is Achilles Tendinitis prevented?
Following are a few tips by which one can prevent Achilles tendinitis:
- Increase activity level gradually
- Take Frequent breaks
- Choose shoes carefully
- Stretch daily
- Strengthen calf muscles
What is the treatment for Achilles Tendinitis?
- Rest: The first step taken to treat the condition is a strategy to reduce the pain. It involves reducing the amount of or even stopping the activities that cause pain or could make it worse.
- Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Medication: Medicines to reduce pain and swelling may not reduce the thickening of the degenerated tendon. Therefore, using any medicine for more than a month should be reviewed by a doctor.
- Steroid Injections: Cortisone is a type of steroid that is an anti-inflammatory medication. Cortisone injections are very rarely recommended as they can cause the tendon to rupture.
- Icing: Icing the most painful area of the Achilles tendon can be very helpful in relieving the pain. It must be done multiple times throughout the day.
- Supportive Shoes: Pain caused due to Achilles tendonitis is often helped by certain shoes and other orthotic devices such as braces, etc.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy is always helpful in treating Achilles tendinitis. It involves simple exercises that help strengthen the muscles.
- Surgery: Surgery should be considered only if the condition has not been responding to the nonsurgical treatments for over 6 months.
We are one of the top hospitals in Hyderabad who have years of experience in treating disorders related to foot and ankle with the help and support of our multidisciplinary team. Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad is one of the best centers for orthopedic treatment in India.
- Achilles Tendinitis.Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/achilles-tendinitis Accessed on June 18th, 2020.
- Achilles Tendinitis. WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/achilles-tendon-injury Accessed on June 18th, 2020.
- Achilles Tendinitis. Medical News Today. Available at: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/240819 Accessed on June 18th, 2020.