Heart & Lung Transplant Hospital in Hyderabad
The Department of Cardiology treats various cardiovascular and cardiothoracic diseases such as:
Congenital Heart Disease with Eisenmenger’s Syndrome: CHD may occur as a result of early development of problems in the heart structure which interfere with the normal blood flow through the heart. Eisenmenger’s Syndrome occurs due to the unoperated heart defects such as an unrepaired hole between the main blood vessels or chambers of the heart.
Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension with Heart Failure: Both the lungs and the heart may get damaged when high blood pressure develops inside the blood vessels of the lungs.
- Heart Failure with Concomitant Intrinsic Lung Disease: With low oxygen levels due to lung diseases such as COPD, may cause a rise in blood pressure in the arteries of the lungs.
- Cystic Fibrosis: This condition is caused due to the change or mutation in the gene called cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR).
- Sarcoidosis: An inflammatory disease triggered by the body’s immune system responding to foreign substances, such as viruses, bacteria, or chemicals.
- lschemic Cardiomyopathy with Pulmonary Hypertension: Mild to moderate secondary pulmonary hypertension is common in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy. However, severe pulmonary hypertension is unusual for such patients, which makes them the ideal candidate for a combined Heart-Lung transplant.
- Eosinophilic Granulomatosis: Caused by an inflammation or swelling that may occur in certain types of cells in the blood or the tissues.
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis: A type of lung disease that results in scarring (fibrosis) of the lungs for reasons unknown.
When do an individual need a heart and lung transplant?
A heart-lung transplantation may be the only available treatment option for people with combined heart and lung failure. If the damage to both organs is severe, then replacing either the heart or the lungs is not advisable.
Can interstitial lung disease cause congestive heart failure?
In severe cases of COPD, the condition can cause right heart failure. It occurs when low oxygen levels due to COPD cause high blood pressure in the arteries in the lungs resulting in a condition called pulmonary hypertension.
What is Eisenmenger's syndrome?
Eisenmenger syndrome causes an increase in blood pressure to the heart, which contains less oxygenated blood (blue blood). This allows poorly oxygenated blood to pass through the hole (shunt) in the heart or blood vessels, allowing oxygen-rich and oxygen-free blood to mix.
Can Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) cause pulmonary hypertension?
Chronic increase in pulmonary venous pressure (elevation in pulmonary capillary wedge pressure [PCWP] on right heart catheterization) results from systolic and diastolic heart failure and mitral valve disease which are the most common cause of pulmonary hypertension.
What does pulmonary hypertension do to the heart?
The damage reduces blood flow to the lungs and increases blood pressure in the arteries. The heart has to work harder to pump blood through the lungs. Excessive exertion will eventually weaken the heart muscle and cause it to fail.
What are the conditions for a heart transplant?
The major reasons for people requiring heart transplants are dilated cardiomyopathy, severe coronary artery disease with scarred heart tissue due to a heart attack, or congenital defects of the heart.
What causes heart failure?
Heart failure is caused when the heart muscle is unable to pump blood as well as it should. Certain conditions such as narrowed arteries in the heart, hypertension are responsible for leaving the heart too weak or stiff to fill and pump blood efficiently.