Does drinking water after meals disturb digestion?
At a Glance:
1. Does water after meals cause digestive problems?
2. How does water help in digestion?
3. Does water interfere with appetite or intake of calories?
4. Does drinking water in large quantities affect digestion?
Water is essential for good health and promotes plenty of health benefits. Yet most of us have heard that having water in between meals, after meals or even before meals makes it difficult for your body to digest food. Many advise that you should have water at least 30 minutes after you have had a meal. Let’s read a little to find if it is good to drink water while eating.
Does water after meals cause digestive problems?
No, consuming water before meals, alongside meals or even after meals doesn’t disturb the digestion process. Thus, there is no need to wonder if drinking water with meals is good or bad. In fact, Drinking water after or during a meal helps digestion.
How does water help in digestion?
According to Mayo Clinic, water helps break down large chunks of food so that our body can absorb nutrients. It also helps to move food through your digestive tract smoothly. So your water intake can actually prevent constipation.
Does water interfere with appetite or intake of calories?
It differs from person to person. Drinking water or eating food does fill the stomach, and it’s a commonly faced fact that drinking too much water does take away hunger. Consequently, water has no calories and people may tend to consume more water to eat less.
Does drinking water in large quantities affect digestion?
Drinking water during meals and in any quantity is a very personal choice. Water is any day the healthiest choice and will not interrupt your digestion even if taken in large quantities. Even after one has had a heavy meal, a decent amount of water cannot do any harm.
Benefits of drinking water after meals:
- Liquefies food in the stomach
- It helps in nutrient absorbing
- Prevents Constipation and Softens Stools
- Stops Bloating
- It helps in reducing calorie intake
- Ensures lubrication of the digestive tract
- Optimal hydration
To conclude, it can be said that it’s safe to drink water after meals and during meals. There are no limitations to drinking water, and it has always been beneficial for consumption.
- Mayo Clinic, https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/digestion/faq-20058348. Last accessed on 14.2.2020
- Healthline, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/drinking-with-meals#bottom-line. Last accessed on 14.2.2020
- Lybrate, https://www.lybrate.com/topic/should-you-drink-water-while-you-eat-know-the-facts-343a/3619ce11be3ec5db4ee62f2394ab2227. Last accessed on 14.2.2020
- Lybrate, https://www.lybrate.com/topic/should-you-drink-water-in-between-your-meal/de821a74694995d8cfff2c7285a1306f. Last accessed on 14.2.2020