All You Need To Know About Pneumonectomy
A pneumonectomy is a type of surgical procedure in which one of the lungs is removed from the human body. The lungs consist of two organs present in the chest cavity whose main function is to supply oxygen into the blood while removing carbon dioxide. They also help filter harmful airborne substances such as smoke, pollution, bacteria, and viruses by trapping them in the mucus which is then expelled from the body by coughing or swallowing. Hence, when one lung is damaged and removed in this procedure, the other lung can still provide enough oxygen and remove carbon dioxide. However, since this surgery removes half of a person’s breathing capacity, doctors usually choose this as a last resort.
The most common reason for this surgery is lung cancer. Other conditions that may require this surgery are traumatic lung injuries, pulmonary tuberculosis, fungal infections of the lung, bronchiectasis, congenital lung disease, bronchial blockage with a destroyed lung, pulmonary metastases, malignant mesothelioma, disseminated thymomas to name a few.
In order to diagnose if an individual requires this surgery, there are certain diagnostic assessments that are carried out such as biopsy, sputum cytology, X-ray, CT scan.
How much does a Pneumonectomy cost in India?
The average cost of pneumonectomy in India is approximately Rs.3,65,192. However, the prices may vary depending upon the hospitals in different cities.
What is the average cost of Pneumonectomy in Hyderabad?
The average cost of pneumonectomy in Hyderabad is Rs.3,65,192. Yet, it depends upon multiple factors.
Types Of Pneumonectomy
- Traditional Pneumonectomy: It is also known as Standard Pneumonectomy. In this procedure, the surgeon removes the entire diseased lung. This surgery is usually performed to treat lung cancer. It may also be necessary to conduct this surgery when a patient has been severely wounded in the chest.
- Extrapleural Pneumonectomy: In this surgical procedure, the surgeon removes the entire affected lung as well as a part of the membrane that covers the heart known as the pericardium, a part of the diaphragm, and the membrane that lines the inside of the chest known as pleura. This surgery is usually a treatment option for malignant mesothelioma in which is a type of cancer of the pleura.
Understanding Costs Of Pneumonectomy Surgery
The factors that may affect the overall cost this surgery include:
- Type surgery and its related treatments
- Duration of stay in the hospital
- Costs of anesthesia and other medications administered to the patients
- Doctor consultation fee
This surgery may have certain complications such as:
- Need for a ventilator or respirator
- Reactions such as rash, swelling, wheezing to anesthesia
- Heart conditions such as arrhythmias and heart attack
- Pulmonary embolism
- Infection at the incision site
- Bronchopleural fistula
- Pleural abscess
- Organ failure, such as kidney failure
- Injury to surrounding lung and/or blood vessels
- Long term shortness of breath
- Postpneumonectomy syndrome: It is a condition in which the other organs in the chest fill the empty cavity where the lung was removed.
What is Pneumonectomy cost at Yashoda Hospitals?
At Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad, we provide world-class facilities and services for traditional and extrapleural pneumonectomy, which has made us one of the top hubs for these surgeries in the country. Over the years, our team of highly trained and competent pulmonologists and heart specialists have performed numerous Pneumonectomy surgeries with a very high success rate. Our technologically advanced facilities such as OT rooms and diagnostic machines, help our team offer successful results to our patients. We are one of the best Pneumonectomy hospital in Hyderabad. To know more about the cost of Pneumonectomy. Click on enquire now.