What is PET scan?
Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scan allows the diagnosis of diseases like cancer, brain disorders, and heart diseases. It uses a radioactive drug which can be swallowed, injected, or inhaled to reveal biochemical changes that occur in the tissues or organs. The drug (tracer) ejects gamma rays which can be traced and used for imaging.
The tracer used varies based on the organ or tissue that needs to be targetted. Thus, the types depend on the function of the PET scan. It can be of six types:
- Fluorodeoxyglucose PET or FDG PET: Since tumours need sugars to grow, fluorodeoxyglucose is used. It is a sugar-like substance with the ability to bind with sugars. When it is introduced into the body, it gravitates towards with high concentrations of sugar. While it can be used to find tumours in any part of the body, it is specifically useful to image inflammation, infection, and brain function.
- DOTA-TATE (GaTate) and DOTA-NOC PET: This drug is typically used to detect neural or neuroendocrine tumours.
- Fluoride Bone PET: As the name suggests, it is useful to create images of bones.
- Fluorothymidine PET or FLT-PET: FLT helps to detect fast-replicating cells and is typically used for imaging bone marrow, brain tumours, and other clinical trials.
- Fluorocholine PET or FCH-PET: This drug is used to image prostate cancer.
- Fluoroethylthrosine PET or FET-PET: It is used for imaging brain tumours.
What is PET scan cost in India?
A PET scan allows doctors to check the biochemical functions occurring in the body. This helps to not only find out the location of the affected areas accurately but also know the intensity. In India, PET CT scan cost can range anywhere between 4,000 – 35,000 INR. The huge difference in the price is due to the cost difference between cities and also the type of scan done. PET scan cost changes based on the organ or tissue targeted. A full body scan has the highest cost.
What is PET scan cost in Hyderabad?
Facilities in Hyderabad offer PET scan for different rates. PET CT scan cost in Hyderabad can fluctuate between 5,500-32,000 INR. The primary reason for the high cost is due to the setup cost incurred by the facility to implement it. The PET scan cost in Hyderabad can also fluctuate due to the facilities offered by the hospital and the type of PET scan required. If the doctor suspects that a tumour has spread to different parts of the body, a whole body scan may be required. This will cause the final bill to shoot up.
What is PET CT scan price in Yashoda Hospitals?
Yashoda Hospitals uses PET technology to accurately visualise conditions and treat them. It is one of the best PET CT scan centres in Hyderabad. The PET scan price in Yashoda Hospitals will be between 30,000 – 35,000 INR. The final cost changes due to the type of scan done. For example, if the doctor suspects that only the heart is affected, the cost will be much lesser than a full body scan. For a full body scan, the price will be 35,000 – 40,000 INR.
Yashoda Hospitals offers the best facilities under a single roof for patients. It is the first in South India to use HD-PET. It allows for greater contrast, clarity, and uniformity while visualising. This allows our team of expert PET scan specialists to accurately identify the smallest inconsistencies. Our diagnosis, powered by the latest technology, is more precise. An expert multi-disciplinary team of specialists take over the treatment to ensure the best treatment for the patient.