Lumbar Puncture Cost in Hyderabad
We have one of the best team of cervical spine specialists team of doctors in Hyderabad, who are highly specialized in treating all types of cervical spine diseases.
All You Need To Know About Lumbar Puncture
A lumbar puncture operation is performed in the lumbar region of the lower back. During this surgery, a needle is inserted between two bones of the lumbar vertebrae to remove a sample of cerebrospinal fluid. The cerebrospinal fluid is the fluid that surrounds the brain and spinal cord to protect them from injury. It usually takes 30-45 minutes for the entire process.
This surgery is very useful in diagnosing serious infections such as meningitis, central nervous system diseases such as Guillain-Barre syndrome and multiple sclerosis, or cancers of the brain or spinal cord. In a few conditions, doctors use lumbar punctures to inject anesthetic medications or chemotherapy drugs into the cerebrospinal fluid.
Before this surgery, a CT scan is usually carried out to get a detailed picture of the area.
How much does a Lumbar Puncture cost in India?
The average cost of lumbar puncture in India is approximately Rs. 1500. However, the prices may vary depending upon the hospitals in different cities.
- Lowest cost in India begins from Rs.400
- Average cost in India can be approximately Rs.826
- Maximum cost in India is up to Rs.1500
What is the average cost of Lumbar Puncture in Hyderabad?
The cost of lumbar puncture in Hyderabad starts from Rs.170 and average cost is Rs.761. Yet, the cost depends upon multiple factors.
Need for Lumbar Puncture
This surgery is performed for one or more of the following reasons:
- To collect cerebrospinal fluid for laboratory analysis.
- To measure the pressure of the cerebrospinal fluid.
- To inject spinal anesthetics, chemotherapy drugs, or other medications into the lumbar region.
- To inject a dye or radioactive substances into the cerebrospinal fluid to make diagnostic images of the fluid’s flow.
A lumbar puncture can help in the diagnosis of various conditions such as:
- Serious bacterial, fungal and viral infections
- Bleeding around the brain
- Cancers involving the brain or spinal cord
- Guillain-Barre syndrome
- Multiple sclerosis
Lumbar Puncture Procedure
- The patient is asked to lie on their side with their knees drawn up in front.
- A local anesthetic is injected into the lower back to numb the puncture site before inserting the needle.
- A thin needle is inserted between the two lower vertebrae through the spinal membrane and into the spinal canal.
- Once the needle is in position, the patient may be asked to change their position slightly.
- The cerebrospinal fluid pressure is measured, a small amount of this fluid is withdrawn and the pressure is measured again. If required, a drug is also injected.
- The needle is then removed, and the puncture site is covered with a bandage.
The patient is usually asked to lie down for 10-15 minutes. In most cases, they are free to go home after the procedure.
When the patient returns home after the surgery, they are recommended to do the following to help ensure a smooth recovery:
- Drink extra fluids for the next 24 hours
- Take complete rest for at least 24 hours
- Follow the doctor’s instructions
Even though lumbar punctures are generally recognized as safe, they do carry some risks such as:
- Post-lumbar puncture headache
- Back pain or discomfort
- Brainstem herniation
- Pain or abnormal burning, or tingling sensations in legs
- Allergic reaction to the anesthetic
What is Lumbar Puncture cost at Yashoda Hospitals?
At Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad, we have a very high success rate of lumbar puncture operations over the years, thanks to our expert neurologists and other experts. We ensure our patients’ utmost comfort before proceeding with any type of surgery and try to minimize their discomfort caused to them as a result of surgery. We are one of the best Lumbar Puncture hospital in Hyderabad. To know more about the cost of Lumbar Puncture. Click on enquire now.