Osteonecrosis of the knee
Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Osteonecrosis of the knee prevented?
The major ways an individual can prevent this condition from developing are:
- Reducing body weight, that decreases pressure on the knee
- Exercise is important to ensure sufficient blood circulation to all parts of the body
- Activity modification
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption
- Avoid tobacco consumption
- Early diagnosis of knee and joint-related diseases
How is Osteonecrosis of the knee diagnosed?
In order to diagnose if an individual is suffering from this condition, certain diagnostic tools are used such as:
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) scan are mostly preferred
- Bone scan
- Biopsy may sometimes be used
At Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad we have a 24-hour working diagnosis center in our orthopedic department. We provide world-class facilities to all our patients and strive to ensure patient comfort that makes us one of the top hospitals near you.
What is the treatment for Osteonecrosis of the knee?
Our expert doctors may recommend one or more of the following treatment procedures:
- Medications: Medicines such as NSAIDs are used in osteonecrosis treatment for relieving pain.
- Self-care strategies: Excessive consumption of alcohol and tobacco increases the accumulation of fatty substances in the blood vessels that decrease the supply of blood in the bones. Reducing the consumption of tobacco and alcohol can help reduce the accumulation of these fatty substances resulting in better blood flow.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy helps strengthen the thigh muscles and maintain the range of motion.
- Surgery: In severe cases, surgical procedures like bone surgery and bone grafting may be performed to help the patient get rid of the pain.
At Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad, we are known for giving specialized treatment to all our patients according to their condition. We aim to ensure a detailed account of other factors such as age, previous medical history before planning treatment. Our services make us one of the best centers in India.
- Osteonecrosis of the Knee. HSS. Available at: https://www.hss.edu/conditions_osteonecrosis-of-the-knee-overview.asp Accessed on June 8, 2020.
- Osteonecrosis of the Knee. UCONN. Available at: https://health.uconn.edu/orthopedics-sports-medicine/conditions-and-treatments/where-does-it-hurt/knee/osteonecrosis-of-the-knee/ Accessed on June 8, 2020.
- Osteonecrosis of the Knee. OrthoInfo. Available at: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases–conditions/osteonecrosis-of-the-knee# Accessed on June 8 2020.