Osgood-Schlatter Disease (Knee Pain)
Types, Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Osgood-Schlatter Disease prevented?
To prevent this condition from developing, there are certain precautions an individual can take. They include:
- For sports playing individuals, it is important to take frequent breaks to relax the tendons.
- Practice stretching exercises that stretch your leg muscles.
- Practice lower body exercises daily.
- Wear footwear that is comfortable and suitable for athletes.
How is Osgood-Schlatter Disease diagnosed?
To diagnose whether or not an individual is suffering from Osgood-Schlatter disease, our expert doctors first carry out a physical examination of the affected knee, which is followed by other diagnostic procedures such as:
- MRI Scan
- CT Scan
We have a dedicated orthopedic unit that is open round the clock with a senior doctor available 24/7 in Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad. With years of providing impeccable services to our patients and the best diagnostic facilities, we have become one of the best hospitals in India.
What is the treatment for Osgood-Schlatter Disease?
Common treatment strategies for this condition involve:
- Supportive care: Icing the affected area two to four times a day, or after doing physical activity helps soothe the inflammation that results in relieving pain.
- Medication: Taking over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers sometimes, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen helps reduce pain and inflammation, but this also should be recommended by a doctor.
- Resting: Resting the knee often and reducing physical activity helps reduce the pressure exerted on the joints that may cause pain and inflammation.
- Knee braces: Wrapping the knee and wearing a knee brace prevents exertion which results in a relaxed knee joint.
- Physical therapy: Physical therapy helps increase the muscles strength, flexibility and mobility of the knee joints. It also helps reduce the stiffness and tension in the knee-gaps that usually causes inflammation and pain.
- Surgery: The demand for surgery occurs in very rare cases, if the pain is extreme and doesn’t subside. The surgery usually involves the removal of bony overgrowth.
We have years of experience in providing the best treatment strategies to our patients for the treatment of Osgood-Schlatter disease. With our multidisciplinary expert team, we have become one of the best hospitals in Hyderabad for consultations. Our expertise at Yashoda hospitals makes us one of the best centers for the treatment of Osgood-Schlatter.
- Osgood-Schlatter Disease. Health Harvad Available at:https://www.health.harvard.edu/a_to_z/osgood-schlatter-disease-a-to-z Accessed on June 8, 2020.
- 2. Osgood-Schlatter Disease. Hopkins Medicine. Available at: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/osgoodschlatter-disease Accessed on June 8, 2020.
- Osgood-Schlatter Disease. Mayo Clinic. Available at:https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/osgood-schlatter-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20354864 Accessed on June 8 2020.
- Osgood-Schlatter Disease. Kids Health.Available at: https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/osgood.html Accessed on June 8, 2020.