Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI)
Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Femoroacetabular Impingement diagnosed?
Our expert doctors first take an interview of the patient, analyze their condition, perform a physical examination and then proceed some of these diagnostic procedures:
- MRA (magnetic resonance arthrography) is a special type of MRI scan. It is a non-invasive technique that uses a magnetic field as well as radio waves to evaluate the condition of the hip. It is done by injecting a dye into the joint space which helps in making the images clearer.
- FADIR (flexion, adduction, and internal rotation) test – It is a passive motion test. In this, the patient is asked to lie on his back and relax his legs, then the affected leg is raised by the doctor and hips bent at a 90-degree angle. The doctor then gently pushes the leg across the midline of the body and moves the lower calf away from the body. If the patient experiences pain at this step, it indicates hip impingement condition.
- CT scans
- Cortisone injections
We have a 24-hour working diagnosis center here at Yashoda Hospital that makes us one of the best hospitals in India.
How is Femoroacetabular Impingement prevented?
Most cases of this condition cannot be prevented beforehand. It is important to get the prompt treatment done to the individual suffering from FAI.
What is the treatment for Femoroacetabular Impingement?
Some of the treatment strategies used are:
- Activity Changes: At the onset of the treatment, doctors usually ask patients to alter their daily routine and avoid activities that cause symptoms.
- Medications: Non-steroidal and anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen are prescribed to help reduce pain and inflammation.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy involves specific exercises that can increase the range of motion and strengthen the muscles.
- Surgery: FAI is treated with surgeries like arthroscopy in severe cases.
We are amongst the top hospitals in India with years of experience in treating femoroacetabular impingement.
- Femoroacetabular Impingement. Standford Healthcare. Available at: https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-conditions/bones-joints-and-muscles/femoroacetabular-impingement.html Accessed on June 18, 2020.
- Femoroacetabular Impingement. Cleaveland clinic. Available at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21158-femoroacetabular-impingement-fai Accessed on June 18, 2020.
- Femoroacetabular Impingement. NCBI. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4280287/ Accessed on June 18, 2020.