The Feldenkrais Method – To Regain Body Movement
The Feldenkrais Method is an exercise therapy devised to improve body movement and manage pain.
The Feldenkrais Method is an educational system that uses movement to teach self awareness and improve function. It was developed by Dr. Moshe Feldenkrais (1904-1984) as a way to retrain the body and to help realise its potential fully.
While it is widely accepted that pain can change the way a person moves, it should also be acknowledged that movement can also cause or heal pain. The Feldenkrais Method focuses on just this by having people be aware of the movements made and how they can be improved to refine them for a long and healthy life. The idea is to eliminate stiffness and pain from the routine by working on agility and flexibility.
Advantages of the Feldenkrais Method
The popularity of the Feldenkrais Method has been because of how easy and effective it is. The reputation it has accumulated is that it works when almost nothing else does. This method works by creating an environment that allows the body to function at its best, ensuring that both the body and the mind are renewed and restored, and participates in the recovery process.
It helps the body and the mind:
- Rid itself of aches and pains
- Improve posture
- Eliminate discomfort
- Achieve better performance
- Relax and sleep better
The biggest draw for the Feldenkrais Method is that since there is no special equipment required, and can be practiced anywhere, it encourages the continuing practice without stops. It can be done anywhere and is as a practice easily accessible, so long as you are willing.
Incorporating the Feldenkrais Method into your everyday schedule
Starting practice at home and incorporating it into a regular schedule is encouraged, but it can be quite a daunting task. Here are some tips that can help in home practice of the Feldenkrais Method:
- Know what you want: the different aspects of the Feldenkrais Method can have an impact on a different part of your mind and body, with some focusing on flexibility and agility or some that focus on meditation and breathing. Therefore ensure that you listen to what the body needs before starting exercise for the day.
- Make practice important: Try to make a particular corner of the house devoted only to practice, this will help in making you more likely to get quality practice time. This also works when there is a set time in the day that allows you to give that much importance to it.
- Commune: while working alone is a great way to get a focused practice underway, it is also important to allow yourself to work with others. This will only sustain your interest in the Method and provide you with more inspiration and motivation for the process.
The goal of the The Feldenkrais Method is understand every movement made by the body and improve it. Students of the method are made increasingly aware of every movement of their body and the only thing they are encouraged to bring is the willingness to learn and an interest in one’s own health and development.
Yashoda and the Feldenkrais Method
Finding the right practitioner for the effective treatment using the Feldenkrais Method is important. Yashoda Hospitals’ Physiotherapy Department (https://www.yashodahospitals.com/specialities/physiotherapy/physiotherapy-rehabilitation) is dedicated to providing the best possible care as you recover function from musculoskeletal injuries and illnesses. The expert physiotherapists use various manual therapy techniques and exercises to manage pain and improve mobility.
Expertise of the Physiotherapy department rests with the doctors who work hand in hand with specialists of other departments, including orthopaedics , gynaecologists and others to provide personalized solutions to patients.