Why is an appendectomy or appendicitis surgery performed?
Appendectomy, colloquially called as appendix surgery or appendicitis surgery is advised for patients with appendicitis to remove the appendix surgically. It is an emergency procedure to treat acute appendicitis.
In appendicitis, a small finger-shaped pouch on the right side of the abdomen called appendix becomes swollen, inflamed, and filled with pus. When the appendix becomes clogged with bacteria and stool, it may get infected and ruptured. In such cases, the bacteria and fecal particles within the organ can spread into your abdomen and cause abscess. Appendectomy is the easiest and quickest way to treat appendicitis and avoid life-threatening complications namely peritonitis, and abscess.
How is the appendicitis surgery performed?
Appendicitis surgery is performed either laparoscopically or as an open surgery.
- Laparoscopic appendectomy – In laparoscopic or key-hole appendectomy surgery, the appendix is removed using laparoscope and special instruments passed throughincisions as small as 0.5 to 1 cm made in abdomen by the surgeon.
- Open appendectomy – The appendix will be removed through an incision made in the right, lower abdominal wall.
What are the advantages of laparoscopic appendectomy over open appendectomy?
Advantages of laparoscopic appendectomy include:
- High success rates
- Reduced hospital stay
- Reduced postoperative pain
- Faster recovery
- Preservation of spinal mobility
- Reduced risk of complications and infections
What is the cost of appendicitis procedure in Hyderabad?
Appendix removal cost varies with the type of procedure chosen, patient’s medical condition, surgeon, facility and the city. In India, Hyderabad is one of the best city to undergo laparoscopic appendectomy surgery.