Calcium metabolism disorders
Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Risk Factors, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
What are the symptoms of Calcium metabolism disorders?
The major symptoms of hypocalcemia are:
- Stiffness or spasms in muscles are common
- A state of confusion, problems in memory
- Paresthesia: It is a prickling sensation in the hands or feet
- Anxiety, depression, irritability, fatigue
- Parkinson, epilepsy, dementia
- Swelling of the optic disc, cataract
- Arrhythmias, congestive heart failure may sometimes occur
- Spasms of the larynx
- Dry skin, brittle nails, coarse hair, itching
- Kidney stones and calcium deposits in the body are common
The major symptoms of hypercalcemia are:
- Gastrointestinal conditions such as constipation, nausea, decrease in appetite
- Kidney conditions such as stones, frequent urination
- Psychological conditions such as confusion
- Pain in the bones, susceptibility to fracture
What are the complications of Calcium metabolism disorders?
Some of the major complications of hypocalcemia are:
- Eye damage
- Acute seizures
- Parkinson’s disease
- Abnormal heartbeat leading to arrhythmias
- Kidney stones
- Renal failure
- Calcium metabolism disorders. Cleveland Clinic. Available at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/transcripts/1369_calcium-metabolism-disorders-causes-symptoms-and-treatments Accessed on June 26th, 2020.
- Calcium metabolism disorders. Renaland Available at: https://www.renalandurologynews.com/home/decision-support-in-medicine/nephrology-hypertension/calcium-metabolism-disorders/ Accessed on June 26th, 2020.
- Calcium metabolism disorders. Access Medicine. Available at: http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=2287§ionid=177426761 Accessed on June 26th, 2020.