Kyphosis of the Spine
Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Kyphosis of the Spine diagnosed?
The diagnosis of this condition usually begins with the analysis of the patient’s medical history and a comprehensive physical examination. It is usually followed by one or more of the following diagnostic assessments:
- CT scans
- MRI scan
- Nerve tests
- Bone density test
- Blood test
- Lung function test
Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad is equipped with one of the best facilities and advanced technologies which helps us to detect and reach the core of the problem easily making us one of the best centers in India.
How is Kyphosis of the Spine prevented?
Individuals can prevent the development of this condition by adopting certain measures such as:
- Avoid slouching
- Using orthopedic equipment while using a computer
- Using well-made bags that uniformly distribute the weight along the back
What is the treatment for Kyphosis of the Spine?
The treatment for this condition is dependent on the severity and type of curve. Some of the treatment strategies are:
- Pain relievers: Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are recommended to help in reducing the discomfort associated with this condition.
- Physical Therapy: It is recommended to relieve the pressure on the spine, improving posture, and reducing the discomfort to the patient. It also helps in strengthening the back and abdominal muscles. Some of these exercises are knee rolls, pelvic tilting, and knees to chest exercise.
- Braces: Doctors usually recommend using braces when the spine is still growing to support its growth in the right direction.
- Surgery: Surgery is recommended for patients when the nonsurgical techniques prove to be ineffective. Spinal fusion is a type of surgery in which several vertebrae are welded together to initiate the formation of a single bone. Other surgical procedures for this condition include inserting metal screws, rods, and plates in the spine to stabilize the spine and enhance the rate of fusion of bone grafting. It also results in the reduction of the curvature in the upper back.
We are one of the best hospitals in India with years of experience in treating orthopedic diseases with the help and support of our dedicated and compassionate team of doctors from various fields. We provide integrated care to our patients that makes us one of the top hospitals in Hyderabad.
- Kyphosis of the Spine. Mayo Clinic. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/kyphosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20374205 Accessed on June 22, 2020.
- Kyphosis of the Spine. Medicine Net. Available at: https://www.medicinenet.com/kyphosis/article.htm Accessed on June 22, 2020.
- Kyphosis of the Spine. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/kyphosis Accessed on June 22, 2020.
- Kyphosis of the Spine. Medical News Today. Available at: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324071 Accessed on June 22, 2020