Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip
Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
What are the symptoms of Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip?
Some of the common symptoms that may indicate a child is suffering from this condition are:
- Legs of the child may appear to be of different lengths
- Wider space between the legs may be present
- Uneven skin folds on the thigh or hips
- Less mobility or flexibility on one side as compared to the other
- Limping, toe walking, or a waddling gait in young children
What are the risk factors of Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip?
Specific factors may predispose some children to the development of this condition, these include:
- A positive family history of DDH may result in susceptibility to this condition
- Firstborn children are more susceptible
- Female babies are more likely to develop this condition than male babies
- Very flexible ligament
- Position of the baby in the uterus (breech position)
- Certain races are also more susceptible to this condition
What are the Complications of Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip?
Major complications of this condition are:
- Redislocation, stiffness of the hip
- Infection susceptibility to the baby
- Blood loss may occur
- Avascular necrosis of the femoral head can also occur
Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad is well-equipped to detect and treat developmental dysplasia of the hip. We have the best team of doctors as well as the availability of high-tech equipment making it one of the top centers in Hyderabad.
- Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip. NHS. Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip Accessed on June 19, 2020.
- Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip. Medscape. Available at: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1248135-overview Accessed on June 19, 2020.
- Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip. Standford Children. Available at: https://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en/topic/default?id=developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip-ddh-90-P02755 Accessed on June 19, 2020.
- Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip Accessed on June 19, 2020.