Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip
Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip diagnosed?
In order to ensure that a complete and accurate diagnosis is performed, our expert doctors may recommend one or more of these diagnostic procedures:
- Physical examination: It is the first step of diagnosis
- Ultrasound (sonogram): This is preferred as a diagnostic tool for babies up to the ages of 6 months. High-frequency sound waves are used to create pictures of the ball and socket in this procedure.
- X-rays: This is used in children over the age of 6 months. It is a more reliable technique because the bone formation in the femur sometimes affects the accuracy of the ultrasound procedure.
How is Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip prevented?
To prevent this condition from developing, it is important to understand that a baby’s hip is very flexible for some time after birth. So, the parents should ensure that they do not swaddle the baby too tight or with their legs pressed together for long. They should also ensure that the baby is able to move his hips and knees freely.
What is the treatment for Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip?
Some of the common treatment strategies are:
- Bracing: Most often, babies are treated with this strategy. The brace puts the baby’s legs in the right position and guides the ball of the hip joint into the socket where it belongs.
- Pavlik Harness: The Pavlik harness is a soft positioning device for the baby. It has straps that are fastened around the baby’s legs and held up by the chest and shoulders via straps.
- Surgery: A correction surgery is performed when the condition is not responding to any other treatment strategy.
At Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad, we strive to ensure that all our patients get the best treatments available which make us one of the top centers in India for the treatment of developmental dysplasia of the hip.
- Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip. NHS. Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip Accessed on June 19, 2020.
- Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip. Medscape. Available at: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1248135-overview Accessed on June 19, 2020.
- Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip. Standford Children. Available at: https://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en/topic/default?id=developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip-ddh-90-P02755 Accessed on June 19, 2020.
- Developmental Dysplasia Of The Hip. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip Accessed on June 19, 2020.