Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
What is Corn?
Corns are calluses that are formed on the toes which results when the bones push up against the shoe and exert pressure on the skin. The surface layer of the skin thickens and irritates the tissues underneath. Corn occurs when the friction and pressure cause the layer of the skin to thicken and harden.
What are the causes of Corn?
Reasons that cause corns are as follows:
- Wearing Ill fitting Shoes: If the shoes are too tight, they exert pressure on the foot. If they are too loose, the foot slides and rubs against the edges that cause friction which leads to corns.
- Skipping Socks: Good socks help prevent friction by creating a soft barrier between the feet and the shoes. Therefore, skipping socks can lead to corns.
- Toe Deformities: Toe deformities such as hammer-toe or claw-toe can contribute to this condition.
- High Heeled: Heels increase the pressure of the forefoot and is one of the major reasons that cause corns.
- Corn. Healthline Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/foot-corn Accessed on June 24th, 2020.
- Corn. Mayoclinic Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/corns-and-calluses/symptoms-causes/syc-20355946 Accessed on June 24th, 2020.
- Corn. WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/understanding-corns-calluses-basics Accessed on June 24th, 2020.
- Corn. Medicine Net. Avaiable at: https://www.medicinenet.com/corns/article.htm Accessed on June 24th, 2020.
- Corn. Cleveland Clinic. Avaiable at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/16896-corns-and-calluses Accessed on June 24th, 2020.