Yashoda Hospitals Signs MoU with CMRI Kolkata to reduce the prevalence of COPD in West Bengal
According to the recent Govt. of West Bengal Health Directorate data , approximately 43.4 lakh people suffer from COPD, and 50,000 people die as a result of this disease.
Hyderabad, 17th May 2022: Yashoda Hospitals has signed MoU with CMRI (Calcutta Medical Research Institute) Kolkata to launch a lung transplantation program and provide ECMO and thoracic surgeries.
The prevalence of COPD in Bengal is quite high. According to recent Govt. of West Bengal Health Directorate Data, approximately 43.4 lakh people suffer from COPD, and approximately 50,000 people die as a result of this disease. Given this situation, Yashoda Hospitals-Hyderabad and CMRI have taken the initiative to work together in providing Heart & Lung Transplantation Services, ECMO & Thoracic surgeries.
“It lays the groundwork for a large programme in Eastern India that will provide care for lung transplant recipients, advanced thoracic surgery, and ECMO management. Patients from West Bengal, Eastern India, and North-East India, as well as neighboring cities such as Ranchi and Bhubaneswar, are likely to benefit from transplants performed here,” said Dr. Raja Dhar, Director & HOD, Department of Pulmonology, CK Birla Hospitals, CMRI, Kolkata.
Elaborating the understanding, Dr. Simmardeep Singh Gill, CEO, CK Birla Hospitals, said, “It is our goal to provide quality care and the best clinical outcomes for all of our patients. CMRI is well-equipped with cutting-edge technology and adheres to evidence-based clinical practice. Yashoda Hospitals would provide CMRI training and advanced lung care consultations as part of this collaboration. For patients, this collaborative service would include pre-operative consultation, lung transplant surgery, and periodic post-operative consultation and follow-up.”
“Lung transplant is a complex surgical procedure that replaces a diseased or failing lung with a healthy lung, usually from a cadaveric / brain dead suitable donor (based on blood type, size of the organ, tissue match) depending on the medical condition such as COPD (Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease), Pulmonology Fibrosis (Scarring of the Lungs), Cystic Fibrosis, and Pulmonology Arterial Hypertension where you notice decreasing oxygen levels. It may entail replacing one or both lungs. Following the surgery, the patient will spend a few days in the intensive care unit (ICU), and after discharge from the hospital, the patient will be subjected to three months of frequent close monitoring by the lung transplantation team. This programme will now be a collaborative effort between CK Birla and Yashoda Hospitals in Kolkata,” said Dr. Apar Jindal, Director – Advanced Lung Failure, Transplant Pulmonologist, Co-Director Lung Failure Unit – Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad.
“Yashoda Hospitals now performs 5 to 10 transplants per month with excellent results. We served the most critically ill patients in the country during the first and second waves of COVID-19. More than 100 air ambulance transfers from across the country were handled, and we also served the most patients on ECMO care,” said Dr. Pavan Gorukanti, Director, Yashoda Hospitals and an American Board Pulmonary Critical Care Specialist.
Dr. Pavan Gorukanti went on to say that this programme will be led by Dr. Shubham Sharma, Consultant Advanced Lung Failure & Transplant Pulmonologist of Yashoda Hospitals, and Dr. Shyam Krishnan, Interventional Pulmonologist of CMRI.
Dr. Shubham Sharma continued, “All necessary pre-investigations, diagnostics, preparation, and patient selection will take place at CMRI, and the transplant will currently take place at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad in collaboration with the CK Birla team, who will register the patient under Telangana’s Jeevandan Organ Donation programme. Once the CK Birla team is ready, the transplants will be performed at the Kolkata Unit with ongoing collaboration.”
- The Worldnews: https://theworldnews.net/in-news/yashoda-cmri-launch-of-lung-transplant-programme
- Act P News: http://english.actpnews.com/yashoda-cmri-launch-of-lung-transplant-programme/
- The Hindu: https://epaper.thehindu.com/Home/MShareArticle?OrgId=GT79QT85I.1&imageview=0&utm_source=epaper&utm_medium=sharearticle
- Times of India: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata/kolkata-hyderabad-tie-up-for-lung-transplant/articleshow/91627802.cms
- AP Direct: https://apdirect.in/yashoda-cmri-launch-of-lung-transplant-programme-184609.html
- Finno Expert: https://finnoexpert.com/2022/05/17/yashoda-cmri-launch-of-lung-transplant-programme/
- The Hindu: https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/telangana/yashoda-cmri-launch-of-lung-transplant-programme/article65423352.ece
- NT News: https://www.ntnews.com/telangana/yashoda-cmri-launch-of-lung-transplant-programme-587579
- Financial Samachar: https://financialsamachar.com/city-based-hospital-signs-mou-with-hyderabad-based-hospital-for-heart-lung-transplants-program/
<< Previous ArticleDeputy Mayor from Ethiopia Survives A Rare Laryngeal Cancer