Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Preventions and Treatment
What would you like to know?
What are the symptoms of Patellofemoral Arthritis?
Most common symptoms associated with patellofemoral arthritis are:
- Putting pressure
- Crackling sensation
- Stuck or “catch” when you straighten
What are the Complications of Patellofemoral Arthritis?
Complications caused by patellofemoral arthritis are:
- Loss of normal knee power and function
- Quadriceps weakness
- Failure to resolve knee pain
How is Patellofemoral Arthritis prevented?
Preventive measures to be taken to reduce the risks of patellofemoral arthritis:
- Maintain strength: Quadriceps can help keep the knee balanced. However, avoid squatting during weight training.
- Lose weight: Excess body weight exerts stress on the knees. Losing weight will relieve stress and soothe the pain.
- Warm-up: This should go without saying. Do warm-up exercises before doing any advanced exercise.
- Stretch: Flexibility is very important and keeping joints mobile and flexible will prevent risks of any form of arthritis. Hence, promote flexibility with gentle stretching exercises.
- Patellofemoral Arthritis. HSS. Available at: https://www.hss.edu/conditions_patellofemoral-kneecap-arthritis-diagnosis-treatment.asp Accessed on June 6, 2020.
- Patellofemoral Arthritis. Knee Pain Explained. Available at: https://www.knee-pain-explained.com/patellofemoral-arthritis.html Accessed on June 6, 2020.
- Patellofemoral Arthritis. Healio. Available at: https://www.healio.com/news/orthopedics/20120331/patellofemoral-arthritis Accessed on June 6, 2020.
- Patellofemoral Arthritis: Diseases and Conditions. OrthoInfo. Available at: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases–conditions/patellofemoral-arthritis# Accessed on June 6, 2020.