Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Hammer Toes diagnosed?
Though the condition is visible and obvious, the doctors might still perform the following diagnostic tests to be sure and see if there is any other condition or deformity linked to it:
- Physical examination
We provide our patients with the best diagnostics facility and technologies so that we can treat and cure their disorder as smoothly and as early as possible. At Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad, we give the best services to their patients and have become one of the top hospitals in India because of our services.
How is Hammer Toes prevented?
There are ways to prevent the condition. Following are a few:
- Avoid Shoes With Pointed Toes: Shoes with pointed toes compress the toes inside in an awkward position. If there is no space in the shoes it may cause the toes to adapt to one position and may lead to hammer toes.
- Low Heels: High heels exert pressure on the toes as it pushes the weight of the entire body on them. Also, high heels are usually too tight and uncomfortable and can cause various problems related to the foot and ankle joints, hammer toes being one of them. Therefore, it is better to wear low heels or flats.
What is the treatment for Hammer Toes?
Listed below are the treatment measures to cure hammer toes:
- Shoes: Patients with this condition must wear soft roomy shoes. It is a part of the treatment as it prevents the condition from worsening.
- Toe Exercises: Doctors may prescribe simple toe exercises that one can perform at home. These exercises stretch and strengthen the muscles of the toe.
- Padding: Patients suffering from hammer toes must use straps, cushions or non-medicated corn pads to relieve the pain and symptoms.
- Surgery: When the corrective measures fail, doctors may recommend surgery to relieve the pain. The surgery will depend on the type of deformity.
- Medications: Medicines are prescribed to soothe the pain and discomfort to these patients.
At Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad, we provide the best treatment possible with people suffering from hammer toe conditions and have helped our patients recover easily by giving them a comprehensive treatment plan to heal. With our holistic approach, we have become one of the top hospitals in Hyderabad.
- Hammer Toes. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/hammer-toe Accessed on June 25th, 2020.
- Hammer Toes. Mayo Clinic. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hammertoe-and-mallet-toe/symptoms-causes/syc-20350839 Accessed on June 25th, 2020.
- Hammer Toes. Medicine Net. Available at: https://www.medicinenet.com/image-collection/hammertoes_picture/picture.htm Accessed on June 25th, 2020.
- Hammer Toes. WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/understanding-hammertoes-basics Accessed on June 25th, 2020.
- Hammer Toes. Cleveland Clinic. Available at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/17038-hammertoes Accessed on June 25th, 2020.