Types, Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Complications, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
What would you like to know?
How is Runner’s Knee prevented?
To prevent this condition from developing, certain preventive measures can be taken:
- Stay in shape and maintain weight
- Stretch and exercise daily
- Gradually increase training
- Use proper running shoes
- Use the proper running form
- Get expert guidance before running for long periods of time
How is Runner’s Knee diagnosed?
The diagnostic tools used are:
- CT scan
- MRI Scan
We have a special orthopedic unit open round the clock with a senior doctor available 24/7 in Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad. We have provided impeccable services to our patients throughout the years and that makes us one of the best hospitals near you.
What is the treatment for Runner’s Knee?
Common treatment procedures are:
- Resting: Resting your knee enough is extremely necessary if you have a runner’s knee.
- Use ice on your knee: Icing the knees after exercise often helps.
- Medications: When the pain gets unbearable, doctors recommend pain relievers, such as NSAIDs, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, etc.
- Physical therapy and exercise: Specific exercises recommended by the therapist strengthens the muscles that support the knees and also control limb alignments.
- Surgery: There are various surgical procedures like arthroscopy and realignment used in runner’s knee treatment. In arthroscopy, the doctors insert a fine device equipped with a camera to see and remove the damaged cartilage. Realignment, on the other hand, is performed in very severe cases. This procedure involves realigning the angle of the kneecap or relieving the pressure on the cartilage.
At Yashoda Hospitals Hyderabad, we provide one of the best treatment facilities to our patients with the help and support of our top experienced doctors in India making us one of the best hospitals near you.
- Runner’s Knee. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/runners-knee# Accessed on June 7, 2020.
- Runner’s Knee Pain. WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/runners-knee#1 Accessed on June 7, 2020.
- Runner’s Knee Pain Syndrome. Hopkins Medicine. Available at: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/patellofemoral-pain-syndrome-runners-knee Accessed on June 7, 2020.